Monday, February 25, 2013

Short Stories

    Fiction packet one was my favorite packet taht we have read.  I thought that these stories were very interesting.  "Survivors" was my favorite story of the packet.  I also enjoyed the "Mystery Stories".  There are so many unanswered questions and that is why I like them so much. I get really interested in the stories that ask questions and I just want to keep reading them.  I always think about the diffferent reasons the author left the ending so open. 
     The first story of the packet was very interesting.  I had to read it over again to figure out what it was trying to tell me.  I enjoyed how there were mny little hints and there was not anything that was thrown out there.  I had to look deeply at the words and the meaning of each word.  I also enjoyed how it just seemed like it was his thoughts and how he would think of one thing and that would lead into another thing and that would lead into another thing.  I was interested in that.  An example of this would be; "...the surivor- he knew this from her letters... they all- father, mother, two older brothers- would disapprove..." Then it goes into how the family would disapprove of the house they lived in.  At the end of the story, I really wanted the other person to die first because I could see how horrible it would be for him and living with his lovers family but then living without the bird and being all alone.  No one ever wants to be alone. 
     I also enjoyed the mystery stories and the meaning and questioning that it leaves you doing at the end.  "The Red Coats" was my favorite.  I think that these stories can be taken however you want to take them.  I relate this story to a show that I love watching every week.  A red coat is a big part of this show and everytime I read this story I always think of that show and that show only when I look at this.  I also liked strawberries because it starts off as super glamorous and exciting and fun and then it says; "I am afraid I will have to pay for their dinners when they come back."  The mood goes from happy to afraid of the bill and disappointment. 
     This is my favorite thing that we have read about this semester so far.  I like the short stories because it keeps my attention and not being accessive.

No comments:

Post a Comment