Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Maps to anywhere

   The first thing I am going to talk about is the story "Leaving."  There are many ways to take this but one that I feel stands out for me is hunger and poverty.  I feel like the parents are strong but that child is weak and maybe that child has a disability. When people see someone with a disability they automatically think that their chances to get married and obtain a regular job are slim to none.  This story is very short but has a lot of meaning. 
    "Spontaneous Combustion" is very interesting to me.  I find it very realistic.  When I was in elementary, I remember being in one of the simulated fire houses and it scared me.  I think every child gets scared when they hear the word fire and a hero is exactyl what a fireman is.  A close family friend that is a firefighter is my hero.  I think the courage to be a fireman is extremely strong and I am so happy to say my hero is a fireman.  The situation of being in a fire is something that haunts a child and this story shows the flames engulfing their pjs and them going into heaven.  That is what I got from this.
  The "End of Manners" is the last story I am going to talk about it.  The first paragraph was very interesting.  I think the  best part of the essay is when it says: "When she jumps, polka dots drop like rain".  I think this was interesting because of the movie like image it creates.  I can envision someone in their polka dot dress jumping off a building and polka dots all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment